Saturday, April 10, 2010

The outside of a horse...


...is good for the inside of a woman. Or, so kind of goes the saying.

This morning I volunteered at the Colorado Horse Protection League . I mucked paddocks and curry-combed waning coats of winter, as my nostrils filled with the earthy smell I have missed. Vocabulary which has not entered my head in years, came popping back, eager to be remembered and used: Curry-comb, fetlock, bell-boot, thrush, ringbone, farrier --- all carrying memories of specific horses.

I watched people; mature individuals, melt at the nudge of a nuzzle. I awed at the magic of having a Being close, eager for your touch, even if through a fence.

I was given a poem this morning by a dear friend, who reads me like one:


I was sad one day and went for a walk;
I sat in a field.
A rabbit noticed my condition and came near.

It often does not take more than that to help
at times -- to just be close to creatures who
are so full of knowing, so full of love that they
don't chat, they just gaze with their marvelous
understanding.

- St. John of the Cross


Eating on the weekends is always harder ("harder"here can be translated as "eating less than I should"). Methodical and planned eating is much easier at my desk during the work-week. Is it strange to almost dread weekends because I know eating is harder with results of increased intestinal profanity and curses?

However, eating on this Saturday night was delicious...Trout...

There is an Alaskan who lives in the unit beneath our apartment; a trout fisherman with a plethora of trout. He has found that I love these catches. And, he has brought Offerings, three bags full.

- Spring Trout and Steamed Asparagus -

Trout
Chives
Olive oil
Meyer lemons
Sea salt
Freshly cracked pepper
Cilantro

Asparagus, lightly steamed




No comments:

Post a Comment