Wednesday, June 16, 2010

Cabbage Juice.

Cabbage seems to me like it has gotten a bad reputation in the vegetable kingdom. Its cruciferous cousins, broccoli and cauliflower, have established themselves as powerhouse foods; especially the former, what with its tree-like semblance and all. What child doesn't want to reign as Giant King, eating a conjured forest of arbored subjects?

But cabbage. Ah, what to do with cabbage. It seems tolerated when smothered with dressing in slaw, pickled atop a sausage, or steamed to death in accompaniment of corned beef. Simply cabbage though, is unappreciated. I wonder if it is the association of potatoes and cabbage as Poor Man's Food; even, starving man's food. "No," we say, liking to inflate our status, thinking ourselves better off than we are. We can do better than cabbage.

For my gut though, I can't do better than cabbage. Cabbage juice, specifically. Its healing property lies in its extremely high glutamine content, an amino acid that fuels the cells that line the digestive track, especially the small intestine.

I am beginning to view my body as an experiment; an experiment which, more oft than not, results in disappointing returns. If I put this in, what will happen? Chew, swallow, wait...

Juicing a head of cabbage is messy business. And, a surprisingly little amount of juice comes out of that Cranium Cruciferae. A whole head only yielded about 16 oz. of juice. I drank half while I cut strawberries and washed blueberries, packaging them into used honey jars, ready to grab in the morning. I made a salad for the morrow's lunch, and made sure to set out the rice cakes I forgot to pack today -- "good binders," my mom says.

I drank of this harvested green juice while I readied dinner. Potatoes also are reported to be good gut food. This also, motherly advice. Thus, this afternoon at the market, I picked three little red potatoes.

I ate them, these Red Jacketed Potatoes, as sustenance for my journey...


~ Red Jacket Salad ~

Red potatoes
Red lead lettuce
Radishes
Olive oil
Apple cider vinegar
Sea salt
Cracked pepper



2 comments:

  1. How do brussel sprouts fit into the cabbage discussion? Do they have a place? or ar they the red-headed stepchild?
    b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brussels sprouts are indeed the red-headed stepchild. Their reputation being yearly tarnished by armies of old women over cooking them at Thanksgiving. Their structural integrity should be preserved from this soggy fate and their honor really should be defended.

    ReplyDelete