Thursday, September 2, 2010

Stuffed Peppers

Recipes requiring too many steps scare me. "Scare" though, I admit, is not quite right -- really, I avoid "recipes" like the plague. Is this yet a remaining childish distaste of directions? Or, the inability to concentrate on following more than a few steps -- I am easily distracted, and tend to forget what I have done.
Did I already add the sugar?
Have I stirred 10 minutes?
Have I "pinched" in the salt?
My stomach sinks full, feeling failure is sure to emerge from this effort. Perhaps looks
will be pretty, but the proverbial warning of deception rings through my pessimism. I have cooked many delicious looking things, but many flop. I didn't begin to love cooking, until I discovered the creativity of it. Until I found out for myself that
Instructions don't always lead to the right way, they don't always solve, and they needn't always be followed.
When I throw things in, make what looks pleasing through my grumbly gut's eyes, that is where I find satisfaction and enjoyment in cooking.
My parents were visiting my new home, and after a day's "barn-raising" work, as, true to our mid-western roots, my mom called the tasks assigned to us by the neglected state of my recent purchase, -- my mom and I turned to the open fridge's holdings of the week's acquired produce. Three purple peppers stared back at us, slight lines shriveling creases crying with neglect, being overlooked for other vegetables.
At the Cherry Creek Farmer's Market, we had bought a whole bag of Purple Peppers. At $0.50 each, who could not? On a weekend hike, two were eaten -- apple style. Surprisingly quenching midway through a 10 mile hike.

The mother-daughter consensus was to Stuff. The peppers, not selves. Although, the latter we realized, was a very real possibility. Stuff we did, the peppers to plumpness, and ourselves with contentment of created comestibles.
Over dinner, we all questioned "Just who exactly, first thought to stuff a pepper?" My dad's answer was that this dish was surely the fruit of a frustrated mother. Her attempt at getting kids to eat their vegetables -- hiding "gold" at the end of the rainbow of eating a pepper. What was hiding 'neatht the depths of sticky herbed rice and myriad veggies? Only digging with edible scoops would bring the answer to the mystery internal.
The harnessed wisdom of the interwebs tell me that Stuffed Peppers are estimated to be
Hungarian in origin. So, perhaps it was a Hungarian mother.

Whatever was hiding in the bottom of these, I liked...very much.

~ Stuffed Peppers ~
1. Cook desired amount of rice. I used 1/2 cup dry, and I had quite a bit of filling left, from stuffing three peppers.
2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
3. Chop carrots (4) & zuchinni (1) in small pieces. Lightly steam.
3. Core peppers, making sure to save their top "hats."
4. Cut up one tomato and a handful of flat-leaf Italian parsley and chives.
5. Mix rice, steamed vegetables, tomato, parsley & chives together. Salt & pepper to taste.
6. Stuff the Bells with filling mixutre, place in a pan filled with an inch of water and cook for 20-30 minutes to desired tenderness.

2 comments:

  1. I made some stuffed (green) peppers last week, but they pale in presentation compared to yours. I still have 1 pepper and everything else in my frig., except for parsley & chives. I think I'll make me a stuffed pepper tonight for supper, adding the carrots & zuchinni. I have always stuffed them with just hamburger, onions, rice, & tomatoes. Yours look so good!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The stuffed green peppers are presented very well.
    I'll have to give this recipe a try. At the end of their baking time I usually put a slice of cheese on top, and let it melt itself down some. I can't imagine that mine will look as nice as yours.

    ReplyDelete