Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Beautiful beets.

I adore them.

And, contrary to most food-loves of mine, I think this one is because I was raised without them. There are no childhood memories of slimy canned beets to stain their reputation, and no experiences scarred by being served blood-red borscht by a great aunt with a neck fetish who just also happened to be suspiciously nocturnal.

Diurnally unhampered by fantasy-creature suspect relatives, I became curious: could I make beet muffins? There are carrot and zucchini muffins. Why not beet? They must have their day in a muffin too, and as I've written about before, I am always one for the underdog. Yep...I'm the weird one on the sidelines over there, rooting for The Beet.

Here now, I'll tell you why there aren't beets in muffins. It's because beets are the ugly duckling of the root world. They are hard and messy and distinct. Beets aren't like potatoes or rice -- you can't just throw them in with anything. They don't absorb the flavors of others. A beet holds its own. It's tough...

...its taste is unique, and you have to know what to do with it.

I understand beets...I know what to do with the unique...

And the ugly duckling is, after all, the one who turns into a swan.


~ Beet Muffins ~

I scrounged around, picked at many recipes for carrot bread and glutenous beet bread, substituted like a mad-woman, and came up with this:

2 tsp. nutmeg
1 tsp. baking soda
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup yogurt
3 eggs
1 tsp. lemon juice
1 tsp. lemon zest

3 cups grated beets

Combine dry ingredients and wet ingredients in separate bowls. Mix these two together and then fold in the beets. Bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes.


11 comments:

  1. I was scarred by the slimy blood red beets that slid out of cans and were dined on by only those old and grey.
    I am glad that I eventually discovered the true beet in it natural state, red for the journey.

    sgb

    ReplyDelete
  2. the muffins look delicious! much better than they sound hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. e.block - ha! I think they turned out much better than they should have!

    sgb - everything is better in its "natural state"...beets minus the makeup. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! those DO look good. and I don't care for beets! (I think because I ate them enough to become allergic/reactive, as near as I can tell.)

    Anyway, that gives me hope. I also want to pass on the recipe to my paternal grandmother, who LOVES beets and always has.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOVE that first paragraph!It caused me to laugh out loud in public (and I am alone!). Being married to a beet hater (probably for can reasons) I don't even grow them. I am now tempted. Um, in reference to the previous blog....has the "genius" laundered woobie lately?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hart - Laughing out loud?! In public?! And probably in a library to boot? Wonderful! I think you should give in to temptation...grow beets. hmm...I don't know about the laundered state of the woobie. I will ask the "genius"...I can only guess that a clean woobie is a more powerful woobie, no?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Do you think canned beets would work? I love beets and the recipe sounds really good. So you think wheat flour work in place of the gluten-free flour mix? Sharon

    ReplyDelete
  8. Sharon - Yes, I think canned would work (canned were used in some of the recipes I adapted from) and I am sure the wheat flour would work well too (I also adapted from regular flour recipes).

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin You are awesome! These Look GREAT!!
    xo- Brittany

    ReplyDelete
  10. Well, I don't know, e.m.b... unclean woobie could have a pretty powerful effect!

    ReplyDelete