Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Twenty below and falling...

...into warmth; unexpected, on my doorstep.

This is the best kind. The best kind of warmth, the best kind of love, the best kind of food? When plans don't go "according to"? When you and your doorstep aren't expecting, but yet receive? Oh, how serendipity satisfies with her hourglass figure, seducing time and losing minutes around her changing curves and bending road.


The weathered thermometer read twenty below zero. For clarification, this was not the windchill -- this was the temperature, clearly pointed to in red. The fresh layer of snow was trackless. Nightly neighbors knew to stay tucked in burrows and hollows of trees. "What are they doing?" I could feel yellow eyes questioning the feet and paws stepping out from the housed den to an evening walk. Yes, this was a little crazy...but my mind was feeling a little crazy right then. Warmth is all in the mind...

...and though my leash-holding hand eventually began to lose feeling, the short walk long I felt warm...I was warm.

Returning aged, breath frozen white on my scarf and on the soft hair around my mouth which, I have been teased, even without the help of ice-frosting gives me a bit of a mustache (I adamantly refuse to pluck this...priding on not preening). I had grayed years in the course of that circled walk. But, back through the cabin door, decades melted away as dinner was decided.

There is something about curry which cooks contentment...something about it which heartens, something about it which reassures -- yes, someone is there.

Long before I had ever actually eaten a curry (somewhat off the palate of my Southwest Iowa childhood, those spices) the word was in my vocabulary, albeit with a very different meaning. A comb...a "curry" brushed over a horse, its rubber teeth working out dirt, shedding hair, and massaging muscles. This currying would put horses into a contented state of hip-resting zen -- eyes closed, lower lip drooped (sometimes drooling in dreams), ears eased.

In my mind, it is no coincidence that curry eaten elicits the same response as the comb --- contentment.




~ Ghee, fennel seeds, curry powder, cardamom, cumin, turmeric, potatoes, tomatoes, lentils, chard. Served over brown basmati rice. ~

4 comments:

  1. mmmm that makes me warm just reading about it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Warming spices and a fire in the fireplace. Perfect for this weather. I think I'll make some curry for tonight. You've inspired me. Might make it now (although it's only 4:45 AM). Love the smell of that blend of spices. Beautifully written, as always, Erin.
    Stay warm.
    Melissa

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you! And, I hope warmth found both of you fellow Colorado Women...in bowls or otherwise...

    ReplyDelete
  4. "This is the best kind. The best kind of warmth, the best kind of love, the best kind of food. When plans don't go "according to". When you and your doorstep aren't expecting, but yet receive. Oh, how serendipity satisfies with her hourglass figure, seducing time and losing minutes around her changing curves and bending road."

    Perfect? No...Perfect. You are an amazing writer.

    ReplyDelete