Tuesday, March 29, 2011

The Dichotomous Drift.

You can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink. Or to paraphrase, you can lead a woman to water, but you can't make her drift. So I am told. But I did. I did drift.

And I am.......

.......drifting.

I like the term, the language of it all...drift...the perfect drift. I love this world of flies and fish, and eddies and rivers, where drifting is something to be aspired to. And is also one of the hardest things to do. When, in so many other areas of life drifting is aimless, without standard or goal. A man once told me "keep on keepin' on." He also told me "If you create a goal and acheive it, you set the bar too low." He drifts beautifully, that man, with purpose in line. I watch. I learn. I know that I will never achieve this goal, to perfectly drift. My standard is high, after having watched...
...and the waters, they will always change.

Nevertheless, I aim to do this too...
.......to drift.

Yet, I am not of a drifting nature. It is difficult for me. I don't flow with the current. Usually, I am struggling against it. But in this new world...where drifting is purposeful and where following the current is hard?

Yes....... 
.......I will drift that way.


5 comments:

  1. It is good to flow with the current at times to resit the urge to walk upstream. To drift in a zen-like state and let your cares and worries for that moment float away like chaff in the wind.

    Drift.

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...eddies and rivers, where drifting is something to be aspired to..." The life of a trout bum. Wow. No...WOW!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm not a good drifter...I lack the patience and I always worry that I'll end up stuck in some rock or log I cannot see.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've grown to love drifting...but do still worry about the rocks...

    ReplyDelete
  5. Again, I fear losing that special fly I can't find anymore, or the one that took FOREVER to tie. haha

    ReplyDelete