Sunday, May 8, 2011

Buckwheat Crêpes for My Mom.

"Imagination is more important than knowledge...."
.....Einstein told us, 

staring postered on our schoolroom's blue gingham papered wall. My teacher stuck it there. My teacher, who just also happened to be my mother. The only other student in the room? My sister. I remember sassing in my head "well, if it's so much more important, why do I have to sit here in front of long division?" But, I kept my mouth shut. Well, for the most part I did.

This more important thing - imagination - this, my mother gave me. This, she taught me. Imagination is the fighter yelling in my ear: there are always possibilities...there is always something. There is always that possibility that when you kiss a frog, you'll get a prince. (Yes, I'll admit it, I kissed frogs as a kid....just to see...). There is always that possibility that if you imagine yourself with the strength of a man, you'll pull out the sword in the stone. There is always that possibility that the ugly duckling will turn into a swan. And always the possibility that the egg will hatch. There is the possibility that for just one day I will be a man and be able to have one of their beards I am jealous of...only for a day, mind you...only for a day. There is always that possibility I will outgrow my love of flannel shirts (very, very low possibility). And there is always that possibility that on the worst of the worst weather days, a fish will bite...

My mom imagines the possibilities. As I wrote a year ago, she dwells in the possible. I, however, usually dwell in the 'im.' My imagination is just imagining. Isn't it? Silly me. But yet...
....I still do. I still dream and imagine...
                                               
                                                              .....I try to live in the possible.

This year though, I forgot about Mother's Day. I utterly forgot. I guess I could say I was too busy imagining things. My mom is a good teacher.....


So right now, I'll imagine that I made these crêpes for her. She is in Nebraska. I am in Colorado. I will call her later today and we will talk. But right now? I will write. I'll imagine that we are sitting together at my kitchen table in early morning light, shadowing dark coffee, sipping the silence. We look up the mountainside for visitors. I'll imagine that we see a doe and her yearling. They graze on spring, on possibilities, just like us. I imagine that I tell my mom how much I want to be like her when I grow up. How much I admire her character, her laugh and her hazel eyes that I have oftentimes made cry. How much I admire her strength and toughness. How much I am thankful for her wisdom and advice and ability to bugger on. How thankful I am she told me to explore this Thread in life. It's ok, child, she said softly. Explore. Dream. Imagine. It's possible. I tell her how much I love her, and suddenly she is right here, eating with me. We wave our forks in the air...in circles...this is good.....

You never know...it's always possible.


~ Buckwheat Crêpes ~

1 1/2 cups milk
2 eggs
1/2 cup buckwheat flour
1/4 cup gluten free flour blend (I used Pure Pantry)
1 1/2 Tbs. butter

Combine all ingredients and let sit for 15-20 minutes. Lightly butter a cast iron pan and put about 1/4 cup batter in, pouring into the middle and then swirling the pan until the batter thinly covers the entire surface of the frying pan. 

~ Rhubarb Strawberry Sauce ~

Rhubarb
Strawberries
Honey

Bring to a boil and then simmer 'til syrupy.

Top with Greek yogurt.

16 comments:

  1. Thank you Erin. I'll just imagine that my mother, long passed, is here with me...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad to have finally found your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you inspired me! Have my batter sitting in the fridge. Gives me enough time to run to the store and get some strawberrys

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Crepes do look wonderful and I imagined them and enjoyed my morning in my mind with you. And always hope for and believe in possibilities :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Crepes were TASTY! Thanks for picking my breakfast

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cofisher - I hope you found your mother there with you...in some way, today...

    John - Thanks and I am so glad you are enjoying it!

    Dustin - You have no idea how big that makes my smile right now!

    ReplyDelete
  7. sgb - Perhaps your pancake/crepes were meant to be. I believe. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. well good, my first one turned put pretty much a pancake but I got the hang of it pretty quick.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ha! Mine did too (didn't take a picture of THAT one!)....and my first pancakes usually end up looking like biscuits. Batter just carries me away. My sister has this quote, "children are like pancakes, the first one never comes out quite right." Can you guess? I'm the first child and she the second....of course she'd say that!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those crepes look fantastic. The last time I had crepes....I can't even remember the last time actually. I can't wait to try them. This is the most delicious post ever.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ryan -- gluten free...for you! Hope you find some GF flour out on your trip! Campfire crepes would be divine...

    ReplyDelete
  12. What an amazing mother.She took on a task that I backed away from. My own mother,a teacher,urged me to home school but I was too intimidated. I am in awe of the job done so well by yours.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Do i know you from a different life?
































    Do







    Do I know you from a different life?

    ReplyDelete
  14. Herringbone - you never know! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I imagine too. Good to know I'm not the only one.

    Your mother sounds a lot like what I remember of mine.

    ReplyDelete