Monday, May 9, 2011

The Christmas Jumper

And no, this does not refer to the hideous green corduroy get-up I wore to Christmas Eve dinner when I was ten. If jumpers ever really were 'in,' they certainly shouldn't have been. Accordingly, the Christmas Jumper is a hideous greenly dressed fly creation of mine. On a fishing trip with my dad, he christened it -- and the name stuck. Coincidentally, it's also stuck a lot of fish. 

Maybe jumpers aren't so bad after all?

The day before, Jay had baited me. He knows how to do this...very well. He knew I wanted to see a yellow perch, that I wanted to catch one. Over my make-shift canyon phone he said, "Yellow Perch were biting hard at Wonderland Lake tonight. So.....what are your plans for tomorrow?" My plans for tomorrow? Well now? To catch yellow perch! 

Banjo and I arrived at Wonderland Lake around 9:30 that morning -- after I had downed two cups of coffee. Thus, we spent about a half an hour walking around looking for a public restroom. This was a Boulder County Open Space. It had a trailhead -- and, a playground. It had to have a restroom. Right? Kids have to pee! There were people everywhere. Where were they going to relieve their morning coffee, I wonder? All I can say is, Men, appreciate your apparatus. Appreciate being able to do these types of things conspicuously. With my apparatus, a dog, and a fly rod, it wasn't easy to hide. I managed to, although I'm sure it wasn't couth (or legal). 

With this dirty deed complete, I headed to the beach off-shooting the dam. There, I ran into Justin, who writes Fish Tales and Fish Tails. We talked flies and both salivated over the feeding carp we could see but not touch...the sanctuaried shore shushed us like a mother -- look but don't touch. And the carp thumbed their noses, or barbeled their mouths, or whatever their equivalent is, at us...I'm sure of it. 

Justin and I fished in the same area of Wonderland and it was fun, shooting the breeze while casting into it...thanks, Justin!

Plus, my plans panned out...I got my perch! Six of 'em!


19 comments:

  1. Rock Star! I am your groupie for life...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks like you selected the right fly for Perch. You should check out my "Christmas Crawdad"- http://naturalistsangle.blogspot.com/2010/12/legend-of-christmas-crawdad-2-return.html

    ReplyDelete
  3. "...shooting the breeze while casting into it" - great.
    love P

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was wondering where the heck you got perch from...good job with the Christmas Jumper.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Appreciate my apparatus? I just started following your blog and I look forward to every post. Great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Anonymous - groupie for life, eh? Good!

    Jay - I checked it out...love the Christmas Crawdad and its tinseled body! Great post too!

    Pa - "breeze" is ok, 75 mph winds aren't eh?

    Cofisher - wonder no more, just go to Wonderland.

    sgb - Tippy-Time. :) Yes indeed.

    Ty - Yes! Appreciate it! I'm jealous (only when trying to pee in public places, mind you...at all other times I am very much satisfied with my own)! I am so glad you enjoy the posts! Thanks...it means a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm sure you have heard this before, but I shall tell you again. You are a fantastic writer. Now that I got that out, I must also make a confession. I too was quite uncouth on Saturday. I definitely have apparatus envy when it comes to times such as these :)

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Stephanie - Thanks! Truly, that means a heck of a lot to me! "Apparatus Envy" -- hehe! I definitely have it too. Oh, what fun Freud would have with US! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Freud, schmeud. Now I'm inspired- perch on the fly. So much for my National Fishing and Boating week entry. I'll have to start all over again. Great writing as usual, and I hope you ate those perch- they are the best.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fontinalis Rising - I didn't keep and eat them. Not this time. But, you can bet I'm going back...and soon!

    ReplyDelete
  11. The best piece of outdoor equipment a woman can buy is a "Lady Jane". There are other brand names,but I never go into the woods without it.It's easy to use,although it sure gives you an appreciation of wind direction.Cabela's has them and I'm sure any self respecting outdoor shop would.
    Perch are fantastic eating.Our kids grew up on Lake Erie perch.Love the way you give fish personalities.Reminds me of someone I know.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great shots and as always, I enjoy your writing! I need to get out for some warmwater again myself soon...

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hart - I can get an apparatus! Must look into this...

    Troutdawg - Thanks! And I hope you get to some ponds or lakes soon!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I've seen my fair share of fish caught on the fly, but never a perch. Looks AWESOME! I'm glad you didn't have to wear the Christmas onesie while fishing.

    ReplyDelete
  15. backcountryfishnerd - Thanks...perch on a fly are so fun! Spunky little fighters. :) (Ha - Glad I didn't have to wear that "onesie" too!!!)

    ReplyDelete
  16. My friend and I tried to cook the perch we caught while we were fishing with you! I let him do it, but afterward I had to explain why they are called "panfish", not "grillfish"

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ah, sad to hear...I've been itching to go back and catch some to keep...and fry. In a pan! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Those are pretty. I want to catch one now!

    ReplyDelete