Sunday, May 22, 2011

Gonzo the Great.

My eyes watered in the wind, stinging with what I wish could be said was surprise. But it wasn't. I wasn't surprised that he was there. Like that old boyfriend (if he could really be called that) who will just not let go, let live, and live on. Turning up, happenstance. Right. Yes, I think he is in love with me, the wind. And his stalking makes me nervous; and then, annoyed; and then, angry. He leaves notes -- on tops of trees, in broken branches, initials caps with white, and gets in the way of my line. Don't -- get in the way of my line.     

I ignore him. My dog guards. I fish on...

.....for hours, baiting bites...

...with Backstabbers and Bellyaches, 

and a black leech pattern that has become my go-to. Nothing is working, and I am starting to get a bellyache. Are there fish in this pond, I wonder. But, there are other fishermen lacing its skirt. There must be something underneath. I ate an apple. Then, some cheese. Banjo pondered my cheese as I did the pond and I shared, hoping for an allegorical follow through. I moved down the bank, several times...and switched flies, again. 

I have had this ugly fly in my box for well over a month now. It was the first fly I tied with bass in mind and it came out looking like the Muppet Gonzo. Although, Gonzo was supposed to be The Great, keep in mind. What the heck, I thought, give it a go, tie on The Great Gonzo. It couldn't be worse than the current greatness I was experiencing.   

So I tied on Gonzo, and on the second cast the allegory held, the pond shared...  




...but then after three (which was more than Banjo got in cheese), Gonzo was lost in a snag. Thus tonight, somewhere in a watery Walden Ponds grave, lies greatness.


17 comments:

  1. Love your writing style Erin.

    Your doggie doesn't look so sure about that bass - like he's not sure if he wants to eat it, bark at it, or just sniff it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well presented Erin.
    The dog, Banjo maybe, looks to be quite the student.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mark - Thank you...I'm glad you enjoyed! Yeah, Banjo wasn't sure what to do....in the end, he just sniffed.

    Cliff - I did...but remembered my hat. ;)

    Brk Trt - Yep! Banjo the Dog. He's quite brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erin .... The dreaded wind, we cursed it plenty on Saturday in the canyon! Great writing :-)

    Jim

    Two Guys ~ Wet Waders & Flies

    ReplyDelete
  5. Years ago I showed up on the Clackamas for steelhead and realized I had left my huge collection of fly boxes at home. I dug into my gear bag, found an old, rusted out white wooley bugger and promptly landed 4 steelhead that evening. No combination of white and burnt orange could quite duplicate that magic when I hit the Vice at home. I wish you better luck with the great gonzo!

    ReplyDelete
  6. John - Just a few days ago, a wise man told me that I should take a picture of every fly I tie, because you just never know which one is going to work. Have I listened? Sigh...no... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jim - Many thanks! The wind has been bad this year in Colorado, eh?

    ReplyDelete
  8. Banjo has that "you have proved your point, can we go home now' look on his face :)

    Top stuff again.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tom - Thank you, and indeed...Banjo gets impatient with me when I'm not entertaining him by catching fish. I hear him sigh behind me. Makes one feel even worse when the fishing isn't going too well, to hear loud "sighs" behind you... :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happenstance. What a lovely word.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Herringbone - it is, isn't it! One of my favorites...

    ReplyDelete
  12. Long live Gonzo!

    ...but there are other fisherman lacing it's skirt...that is a feeling I have often when I look up and down some shoreline, what am i doing wrong? a simple question I find myself asking way too much :-)

    banjo looks like he's becoming quite the fishing partner!

    ReplyDelete
  13. That was a great story! Loved the end..."Thus tonight, somewhere in a watery Walden Ponds grave, lies greatness." Very nice!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Yes, I agree! Better than a great hook is a graceful last sentence.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am so envious of your writing skills. I LOVE IT. That was a great read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Rob - Ah, you're welcome, but many, many thanks to you for reading, and for the encouraging words! Cheers!

    ReplyDelete