Wednesday, May 18, 2011

Wet Dreams.

A bass bunks in the backing of eyelids; runs away with dreams, and pulls me awake. My wrists twitch a last breath; a dying chimera of a catch.

It got away.  

You know those moments when, just before sleep, you fall? Off a tall building, off a cliff, off your rocker, or into a black hole. Wishing for wings, you try to stop, and then -- you hit. The mattress feathers the hope...you aren't going to die. Those moments, they're a bottomless pit of the subconscious. A playground for fears, frights, and fancies -- with no parental supervision and abnormally tall monkey bars. Something is just bound to break. 

Well, I don't have those kinds of dreams anymore. Nope. Now? Now, my subconscious schools with fish, and they teach me; there, while I sleep. The slightest doubt of a delicate nibble? Set. Don't sit. Do something.

Thus, I practice. I play in a river from which I pray I'll wake.

"Do you ever dream that you're catching a fish?" I asked a fisherman, "and your hands actually move...you feel the bump of the hook, and then the bite?" He smiled at my innocence, "Hasn't happened to me in a long, long time" he said, looking in awe at the female embodiment of his childhood self. All of a sudden I realize that a nine-year-old-boy's voice had just come out of my twenty-seven-year old woman's body.  

Strange.....
.....but for me, not at all unusual.

The body questions everything, because the mind can't be trusted. I remember this feeling. It is ageless. Sexless. Once, as a little girl, confused by changes. Now in many ways still stayed in perpetual adolescence...my dreams, whetted by waters.

Closing eyes, my mind lets out its line. It's quiet. Peaceful. I wait. The bass swims by again and I see her hesitate. Take it. Hungry? Yes!

And I wake up; again, from a hallucinogenic hook-up...


...where usually, I'm doing things I shouldn't.

19 comments:

  1. Delightful as always, Erin. Delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. catchy title :) It is pretty cool how excitement from a dream can carry on into the waking world. Excellent job capturing the experience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The title will bring you in, the post will hook you.
    Enjoyed

    ReplyDelete
  4. Before and after trips I find myself nodding off and setting an invisible hook. ...or just close my eyes and watch indicators dart under the surface, something sipping my dry fly, a big pike putting a fly on his nose to see a 3 dimensional image. Heck, it's good practice, gets your timing down.

    I dig how you put it into words. Nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've read it twice. It flowed nicely the first.The second time I could feel myself smiling.Excellent! Really nice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. That was not what I expected from the title. The damp subconscious flowing thoughts of moment. Very nice.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Cheers to you EMB, very well written with a nice depth of honesty that makes for good writing. Kudos.

    ReplyDelete
  8. A stocking hat? You know it's May right?

    By now it should go without saying, but I'll say it anyway. Excellent blogging.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow guys...that you all so much for the comments! They mean a heck of a lot.

    Regarding the stocking hat -- it is snowing, again, at my house right now... ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Erin, I know why that mystery person has twinkles in his eyes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great stuff...And I am in the "still dreaming" group.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Do fishermen/women ever stop dreaming, i think it is what keeps up going through the dark days of dry nets.

    Lovely stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cofisher - I think I do too... :)

    John - thanks...and good to hear! Keep on!

    Tom - I think you are certainly right on that, and beautifully said too. Yes, we have to have the dreams...

    ReplyDelete
  14. i was really scared to click the link when I saw wet dreams... I literally stared at it for a minute and closed my eyes and clicked

    ReplyDelete
  15. i'm at work right now, and didn't know if I should click on your post...i did, maybe I secretly wanted to get fired :-)

    I had one of those dreams the other night (fish dreams I mean...) I woke myself up setting the hook on a small brookie from a stream I miss in WI...it was fantastic!

    A great read as always!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Dustin and Sanders - sorry to scare you two, and am glad you clicked anyway! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I did like your last picture as well. Care to explain??

    ReplyDelete
  18. "No Trespassing"...it's super secret...shhhh! ;)

    ReplyDelete