Friday, May 13, 2011

You just gotta know.

"See there, she's fishing on a fly rod....now that's real different." I heard a man say, over treading bike tires and crying children in strollers on the path behind me. He and his small son were holding spinning rods. The boy's was maybe, maybe, the length of my arm, but his smile was exponentially bigger. He was fishing. With his dad. Could life get any better? This is one of the reason I like urban angling. Most of the other fishermen out there aren't on the fly, and I usually catch a comment, drifting along the lines of "well....I'll be...what's she doing? Why's she movin' around so much?!  "

Wiggle worm, shaking things up a bit, making people question what is normal.

"The bass are biting...over in that corner" the man said, pointing south. "You just gotta know what they're bitin' on..." "Thanks" I said, and headed over to that corner. 

I had just picked up the current issue of Field & Stream (after hearing rumor that someone I know had two flies featured in it). Now, If I were a believing woman (which I've yet to completely figure out), I'd say it was a sign --- straight from the God of Bass Ponds himself (although I've yet to completely figure Him out either). He spoke. And, for a split-shot of a second I thought he was a frog. Something along the lines of Balaam's ass, only much wetter. Erin's frog -- I heard him, and then, I knew. I knew what they'd be biting on.

One of the New Reliables....



...and I just happened to have one in my box.

I stopped to switch flies, tied on one of Jay Zimmerman's rust Backstabbers, threw out my line, and on the second cast --- strip, strip strip....pow! A big bass. A few casts later, another!



"You just gotta know what they're bitin' on..."

Thank you frog, or God of Bass Ponds, or whomever you are...

16 comments:

  1. Good stuff. I have a batch of backstabbers in my carp box...sweet fly!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Creator of all those things, and those who appreciate them.
    pa

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love the blog EMB! Your writing skills are way beyond mine. The funniest thing about Urban Fishing (for Carp at any rate) is that first a passerby will ask and you will chearfully tell them what you are fishing for. Then while clearly fearing for your health and sanity they will ask "Do you going to eat them??!!!!!".

    ReplyDelete
  4. I almost hooked a lady in a stroller one time, but to be fair, it was my wife.

    ReplyDelete
  5. John - yeah, the Backstabbers are pretty sweet...and deadly tempting! Almost hooked your wife, eh? ahh, she's already hooked on ya! ;) I hook myself a lot. Thought I lost a fly in a tree-snag on Saturday. Then 8 hours later when I was driving home I took off my hat...there was the fly. I felt like a dufus, walking around all day with a big fly stuck on my head!

    McTage - Thank you! That means a heck of a lot! Yeah, I get asked that too....and, "are there any fish in there?" uh, no...I'm just swinging around all this line for the fun of it. I try to hold back the snark ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. great job, I starting searching online to find the backstabber pattern and Jay has a youtube video of him tying it... SCORE

    ReplyDelete
  7. Dustin - Thanks! And, I'm glad you found Jay's videos! Good stuff. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I got nothin' by still wanted to drop by and say Hi...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Howard...thanks for dropping by...

    ReplyDelete
  10. You are lucky to have the urban fishing up there. My nearest bass is about 3 hours away. Good post, as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Damn...you are one good pimp! I suppose I owe ya dinner or something now?

    ReplyDelete
  12. Jay - yes, I suppose you do!

    ReplyDelete
  13. backcountryfishnerd - I definitely am lucky...lots of species diversity within close range. And thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wow! Great catch. Great photos too!

    ReplyDelete