Tuesday, June 14, 2011

East of Eden...

.....banished every morning to work. I leave, so that I can return. I tell this to myself, and to my Banjo in the window.


And every evening I return to hard yet forgiving arms, holding me closely on a bed of rock. I've found this soil to be the most stable, the most safe, and where my feet are the most sure.

There is a railroad bridge crossing the highway, connecting the canyon to the world. The gateway to Eden. As soon as I cross its boundary, I sink into silence echoing loudly down the canyon's sides. I sigh...even in the loneliness of the canyon I know there are others like me (Norman Maclean). It is in this loneliness that I feel completely understood and understanding. The stillness beckons me -- be.

Tension releases and stress dissipates as soon as I cross those tracks....into my sanctuary.   

Finally, I'm home.....

.....even yet miles away, at the canyon's mouth teethed with tracks.

Softly passes the time here, as harsh as the land is. Daylight breaks slowly, light seen long before the sun. Intuition tells me, he's coming....yet he has a long detour through the plains, others get him first. I sense when he nears, like a dog who knows his master is soon to come home. And, I feel like barking, I feel joy, when he finally arrives. The plains get his virgin rays, but I get his golden -- the best saved for me...saved for the canyon. A lifelong love affair, only just barely a year old -- here, between me and these mountainsides.

Everything in the canyon struggles, everyday. But, I see strength in the defenses of plants and birds and mammals. The late-blooming wildflowers, the death-eating magpies, the fox calling for its mate. Weathered, wintered, and windblown; yet, we stand.

Notice, there is a kindness in anyone or anything who has to struggle to survive, towards others of like kind and making.

And the canyon...
...the canyon is kind to me.....

.....I've found my Eden.

28 comments:

  1. ...everything in the canyon struggles, everyday...

    except you :-)

    there is something comforting about finding a home...glad you found yours. really nicely said!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful...makes me miss my Montana home.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sanders - Thank you! But really, I'm quite to the contrary...thus, I'm at home here...

    John - There's nothing like open space to call home...

    ReplyDelete
  4. We all need our little piece of Eden Erin, its what keeps us sane in a mad world.

    Lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. whoah...again..That was really good Erin. Sounds like a beautiful place. Really like the part about the sun

    ReplyDelete
  6. Click here @ for a release the Banjo campaign.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm glad for you. I think your thoughtful work has found many homes.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Captivating! It's like I have landed in the mountains somewhere, but I look outside, and there is my own familiar landscape. Thank you for sharing these thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Erin ... May rays of canyon sunshine, awaken your rested heart, and mind!

    Beautiful imagery ... you give words life!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Tom - Yes indeed we do...and it is my sanity. Yet, I lose it every day. Many thanks for your comment!

    Travis - Thank you! I'm especially glad you enjoyed that part...it was my favorite part to write.

    FlyfishermanRichard - Hehe! Free the Banjos!

    Herringbone - Thank you, and indeed I hope it has...

    Casey - Wow! Thanks for those words...that my writing about my home, could make you see yours, is one of the coolest compliments...means a lot to me! Thanks!

    Jim - I awoke....rested, and now banished once again. ;) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for that. Such a great post.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Matt - Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Another beautifully written piece. I can feel those same rays of early morning sunshine hitting me in the face as I read your words..thanks for that , the canyon is a much more peaceful place than my current location at work.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  14. Jeff - Ah, and those rays are probably just now reaching my cabin windows...a much more peaceful place then my current location as well. Also, at work... ;) Many thanks for reading and for the comment!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Sometimes I don't really have much to say when I read your posts. I just sit back and smile. from now on, if I don't post a compliment, it doesn't mean I didn't read the post (I always do). It just means I'm sitting back and smiling instead.

    Cool?

    Cool.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm so glad so many people are getting the chance to bask in your writing.Both the ones who comment and those struck speechless.Can't wait to see you next week.(At least the whole family isn't descending at once!)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hart - Oh, I am ready to be descended upon! Can't wait!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh, such great way with words! Thanks for sharing such beautiful thoughts.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Rob, thanks for reading and for following along!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am thankful that you have found your "Eden" and I think you have found an "Adam" to share it with
    ;-)
    Remember how we would get a similar feeling when crossing the river and then heading south to our "hobby farm" and the first greeting from the barnyard would be the Braying of a little white mule. I miss him.

    ReplyDelete
  21. sgb - I miss Casper so, and was just thinking about him yesterday on my evening walk. Someone in the canyon has a mule. And we got "the feeling" crossing the river, but even moreso at "Antiques Exit Now" !!!! As to your first sentence....me too...

    ReplyDelete
  22. Aw, poor puppy. I had a fox terrier once that I would take out on adventures with me. He'd just sit on my lap while we drove there. The problem was that he wouldn't hang out with you unless he was on a leash. He'd just get behind that nose and take off.

    ReplyDelete
  23. JGR - yeah, Banjo Boy gets to go adventuring with me on weekends. Unfortunately, I can't sell that he is my "service dog" to my employers. ;-) Thus, the sad face every weekday morning in the window.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the way you write Erin...

    Peace.

    Andy

    ReplyDelete
  25. Thanks, Andy...I'm glad you enjoyed! And, thanks for stopping by to read and for the follow! Cheers...

    ReplyDelete
  26. Incredibly eloquent - I feel beautiful when I read your posts. The beauty of your words just flows out of the computer screen. You have such talent, Erin.

    -stephanie

    ReplyDelete
  27. Stephanie - Your comment just made ME feel beautiful...thank you...

    ReplyDelete