Sunday, June 12, 2011

Just one more cast.

Light lingered late into the evening, Lily wanted us, furtively winking...stay. Just one more cast. Just one more. Like that feeling of when you're a kid, having to leave your grandmother's house when she's baking cookies. There are treats yet to be had. You get the glimpse your mother doesn't want you to see through the oven-door window. And, you salivate. Please can we stay? Lily opened the door and the smell of pine baked with alpenglow wafted out. It would have been rude to refuse, after what she'd given. No, indeed -- she hadn't hosted others so well. And so we stood, Jay and I, outlined by twilight. An evensong of bullfrogs and a redwing blackbird boy-chorus, higher pitched and more immature -- bullfrogs have lived life, and they have the voices to prove it.

Just one more cast...

...after one more cast.

Jay looked at me, apologizing for not being able to help himself in that I'm really not sorry for this kind of way. "I've infected you too" he said, "haven't I?" My continual casts affirmed my sickness. He smiled. "Ok, we each catch one more, and then we leave...deal?"

Deal. 

Except, no deal.

"One comin' in fast your way....edge of the reeds!!!" ===> Jay whispered and pointed my way. I'm learning his hand signals...reading his rod tip and left hand like a border collie and a shepherd's cane. Soon, I'll do before he can tell. But right now, I still need his whispers. Strip, strip, strip -- in came my new micro-streamer pattern (The Lily Bugger, Jay took to calling her). Following, the trout broke the surface...a cutthroat of red. Red, rusted onto its gills as a reminder of the need for food -- these cuts...coloring feeding with the dangers of being delicate...of being too beautiful.

"Coming from your right....end of your leader." I whispered towards Jay, trying to remember his hand's motion. Got him! A cut woke the sleeping waters.

Now, we could go home.


After,  just one more cast....
.....just one more.

Lingering line in Lily's light for as long as she would let us cast...just one more.



27 comments:

  1. I know that feeling well! Beautiful fish.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ditto! yesterday it was one more pool, then there's that other pool just a bit upstream, over that logjam. But wait, there's that next glassy run...what about that next plunge pool above....

    ReplyDelete
  3. All too familiar with telling myself "one more cast" sometimes I listen... Other.. Ok.. More often than not.. I refuse

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great storie Erin! Here soon maybe I can have some myself

    ReplyDelete
  5. Love that little fly, how can any fish refuse it?

    ReplyDelete
  6. There will always be one more cast.

    ReplyDelete
  7. ...or at least, let's hope so.

    ReplyDelete
  8. John - Glad to know I'm in good company with the "just one more" thing!

    Royal Wulff - A wonderfully vicious cycle...

    Dustin - I hope you get some stories and into some fish soon....you sure have the flies for it! Nice!

    Flyfishermanrichard - Thanks for the comment about the fly...the trout sure seemed to like it!

    d.nash - here's hoping!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Mish - I don't usually listen to myself either! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  10. ..."bullfrogs have lived life, and they have the voices to prove it." I like this word picture. And in comparison, Spring Peepers would be the frog equivalent of a boys chorus. The Peepers chorus was pretty strong here the Spring.

    sgb

    ReplyDelete
  11. Being not a fisherman I would compare your "Just one more cast" to my what's around the bend or over the hill on my birding hikes. Cheerio!

    ReplyDelete
  12. sgb - I love the sound of frogs...two hapless women walked by Jay and I talking about the beauty of the bird's songs. They were describing the frogs' voice to perfection. Ah yes, what's around the next bend in the road? We are both Anne's with an E at heart...

    ReplyDelete
  13. One more cast - been there many times. Heck, on pretty much every trip now that I think about it. Never heard it put quite so well though. Very nice read.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Erin, you can 'last cast' all night long but you only ever get one final cast........... LOL

    At least that's what i tell my daughter when we are out together :):)

    Keep up the great stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  15. one more cast...that line always becomes a slippery slope for me...

    Great writing as always!

    oh...good looking fish too :-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Nice. We should have stayed longer...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Ty - Thanks! Yeah, I think I'm going to be at that 'one more cast' place quite often, methinks. Well, maybe a little more than 'often.' ;)

    Tom - Many thanks for reading and the comment, and it's so great that you are fishing with your daughter!

    Sanders - Slippery slope, steep edge...I think I've gone off! Thanks. :)

    Anonymous - We're going to have many more nights like that...I can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  18. Ah yes, one more cast. Tis a song played every time my wife and I go out. She's the songbird.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Cofisher - One More Cast...one of those classics...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Exactly how I feel every time I'm on the water..only much better written than my thoughts! And with pretty cutts like that around and playing who can blame you anyway.
    Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  21. Enthusiasm,zest for life,just total stokedness. Thanks for capturing and sharing. Pretty fish. Scott

    ReplyDelete
  22. HighPlainsFlyFisher - Ah thanks! Yes, the fish were just so gorgeous, I can't be blamed!

    Herringbon - "stokedness" ==> new word in my vocabulary...thanks! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful word pictures. I must congratulate you on your apparent ability to learn hand signals.Ex-military men have little patience for people (like moi) who NEVER learn.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hart - hehe! Yes, I have been noticing this about ex-military men. And sometimes, I just make my best educated guess. But shhh! Don't tell Jay!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad fly fisherman shy from gambling most days.

    Is that an RGCT?? What part of the state did you go fishing?

    ReplyDelete
  26. backcountryfishnerd - Indeed it is a RGCT! We were fishing Lily Lake in RMNP, right outside Estes Park on Hwy 7....one of the first "high country" lakes to open up. Check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I figured you were in their natural realm! Cool, I didn't know those guys were up here! It will be like home again! *sniffle*

    ReplyDelete