Tuesday, July 12, 2011

A Second Date.

"I haven't stopped thinking about this place...and about coming back here a second time." Jay said as we walked down the early morning path,  later than we'd hoped. Morning wagon-wheels separated us with a buffer of grass -- like a chaperone. "Learning her, learning the water...what's the same, and what changes....it's like a second date." 

He smiles.

Hearing what she was scared to say, what she was scared to tell you, the first time. Beautiful, she shows you her deep places, where the trout hold. But she doesn't give them up easily. You've got to work for them. Hard. Learning her. Remembering what she's told you before......
.....you begin to write her sentences before she speaks.

She laughs through the wind. She teases. She burps with the bullfrogs -- surprising you -- she isn't all beauty. And this is how she keeps fishermen coming back. The good fishermen, that is. Most give up. She's too nuanced, there's easier, they say as they pack up their spinning rods, ending a whole day with only a few bumps. A coquette in a white tank-top. Almost see-through. And she drives you wild. She holds your interest -- and hand -- giving a little bit at a time. All you can think about is the next date. The next cast into her thoughts.

She flirts, flashing feeding trout as you're rigging. And, re-rigging. For the sixth time....

.....after you think you've got her all figured out.

Jay cups his hand and whispers so that the pond, she can't hear --- callibaetis spinners. The hatch changes; again, she changes her mind. Re-rig. It's a woman's prerogative.  



30 comments:

  1. It's amazing you you can combine a steamy romance novel style into a post about fishing. That takes talent.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well...you just described most people's second date (good second date) perfectly :-)

    "Hearing what she was scared to say, what she was scared to tell you, the first time..."

    That line was perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  3. "She's too nuanced..." Oh so true.

    ReplyDelete
  4. the ups and downs of a romance are what make it interesting. it made me think of a song...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I realize my response isn't completely in line with the point of the post. but it was the first thing that came to my mind :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. A siren she is.
    (In Greek mythology, the Sirens (Greek singular: Σειρήν Seirēn; Greek plural: Σειρῆνες Seirēnes) were three dangerous bird-women, portrayed as seductresses who lured nearby sailors with their enchanting music and voices to shipwreck on the rocky coast of their island.)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Kev2380 - Even more amazing considering I've never read a steamy romance novel. ;-) Thanks!

    Sanders - Ah, thanks! I changed that bit around many times....glad it settled in well.

    Cofisher - Yes, the water...she is...

    Clif - Water and women, eh? ;)

    d.nash - nah, your first comment was right on! You're so right...it IS what makes it interesting...got to have the downs to appreciate the ups (although too much drama = not good!). And what song?

    Anonymous....ah yes, the sirens....one of my favorite subject in Western Civ. classes in college. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Second date, third date, all become better and better on any piece of water. You get a little bit more each time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am going through a "trial separation" from my mistress at the moment and i know who is suffering the most.......... it is not the river LOL

    Anything worth having in life does not come easy, lovely stuff as usual Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It reminded me of "My Winding Wheel" by Ryan Adams. I posted it so you can listen. And yes, big Caesarian thumbs down to drama.

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is what I'm talkin about. "A coquette in a white tank-top. Almost see-through." I can just picture that.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Phillip - Indeed they do. A relationship which ages well...

    Tom - hehe! Hope you two can get things resolved soon! ;) And as always, your comment leaves a profound truth....ease is not satisfying.

    d.nash - Ah! I will go check it out!

    Kev2380 - ;-) I figured most could. I was wearing one the other day, and a "comment" was made....got me thinking.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Very cool blog--great writing and great photos. I'm glad you stopped by my site so I could find yours. Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks, Herringbone!

    Fish Cop - Thanks! I'm glad you liked what's here!

    ReplyDelete
  15. George - thanks! Browns have definitely won my heart as my favorite....

    ReplyDelete
  16. You had me at, "A coquette in a white tank-top. Almost see-through. And she drives you wild."

    I'm embarrassed to admit that I just found your blog, and thus have a lot of catching up to do, and much to look forward to.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Kirk - That line seems to be a looker! ;) Glad you found, and enjoyed my writings!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Got off MY river a little while ago. Fished a stretch I haven't touched in 5 years. Used to fish it ALOT. Weekly dates.

    Amazing how even after learning what a river has to offer, you go away for awhile and have to start all over. Like meeting someone new.

    Excellent as always Ms. Erin.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Ken G. - Thanks...and I'm glad you've rediscovered an old love...

    ReplyDelete
  20. Ivan - Indeed....usually a good sign, eh? Didn't scare them off the first time.

    ReplyDelete
  21. It is a good sign when second dates go well! Great post... Again!

    ReplyDelete
  22. backcountryfishnerd - Indeed it is :) Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Nice color! Love that emerald green, so fresh on the eyes!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Alaska Fishing Trips - Thanks for stopping by and taking the time to comment...I've always been in love with green, but now, winters in the mountains make me love it even more. I'm sure you can relate to that!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Simply fantastic, as always! You have such a talent, Erin.

    ReplyDelete